Sunday 11 April 2010

Israel Matzav: How the IDF screens for security clearance

How the IDF screens for security clearance

Thanks to Aviv S who answered my question about how the IDF screens for security clearance. The short answer is that they don't - the Shabak (General Security Service) screens for them.

Those of you who read Hebrew can find the 18-page Shabak questionnaire online here (pdf link).

I mentioned earlier that I once applied for a job that required security clearance. I recall filling out a form like this. I also recall there being a personal interview (in fact, I also had to take a lie detector test for the government job I did take several months later - which was under the Finance Ministry and had nothing to do with Defense). Anat Kam's radical background should have come out.

For example, question 35 asks whether you ever were directly or indirectly involved in activity that sought to overthrow the government through economic or violent means. The following question asks whether you were ever a member of an organization that sought to do the same thing. And the following question asks whether you were in contact with people who were trying to do the same thing. And for good measure, they add a declaration that you haven't been involved in anything of the sort that isn't covered by the previous questions.

There are also several pages in which you're supposed to list friends, work colleagues etc.

Aviv S. pointed out to me that the questionnaire doesn't ask your political views. That's true. But how many friends did Kam list on her application and how many of them were called? How could it be that none of them said anything about her? (I suspect that what is most likely is that none of them were called - I recall one of my references telling me that she was not called).

The IDF and the Shabak need to do some serious re-evaluation of how security clearances are done. The obsession with the political Right (dealt with by the 'Jewish section' in the Shabak) needs to be ended or at least balanced by similar treatment for the Left. The Right has never attempted to compromise Israel's security. The same cannot be said for the Left.


Israel Matzav: How the IDF screens for security clearance

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...