Sunday 28 March 2010

Israel Matzav: Netanyahu alienating the American Jewish community?

Netanyahu alienating the American Jewish community?

Given the ovations that Prime Minister Netanyahu got at AIPAC, I find it hard to give this article much credibility, but I'm not in the US right now, so I'm throwing this out to those of you who are to support or refute:

BUT, HE is also alienating another staunch supporter of the State of Israel – the American Jewish community. As I conclude my travels in the States, I have not found one Jew here who understands why Netanyahu’s government would commit such a foolish act. American Jews are sorely embarrassed, as Israel has raised the ugly specter of “dual loyalty.” In addition to appearing before American Jewish audiences, I also spoke to non-Jewish forums, presenting a balanced understanding of the Middle East conflict and decrying the double standards that are unfairly applied to Israel.

I specifically addressed the latest Presbyterian onslaught with its prejudicial call for a boycott and divestment. Coming from the human rights world, supposedly liberal Christians, critical of Israel, were inclined to give me a sympathetic ear. Without exaggerating my influence, I believe that in many cases I succeeded in opening their eyes to the complexities of the conflict, pointing out that there are two narratives that dominate the struggle between Israelis and Palestinians.

And here comes good old Bibi with his declaration of further settlement building. There was no way I could put this latest “slap in the face” to America in a positive light. Netanyahu is simply not considered a credible partner to peace, no matter how much he tries to sweet-talk the American administration.

I was reluctant to tell my audiences, particularly the non-Jewish ones, that America should call Israel on the carpet – not by expressions of admonition that have little or no impact, but rather by bold actions.

I should probably throw in two caveats: The writer, David Forman, is an uber-Leftist, and I don't believe that Israel's support from the US is dependent on the Jewish community anymore anyway. I believe that most of our support these days is coming from Christians, who may well be far more inclined to support Netanyahu's position.

Israel Matzav: Netanyahu alienating the American Jewish community?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...