Sunday 21 March 2010

Love of the Land: I'm Protecting Israel

I'm Protecting Israel


Paula R. Stern
A Soldier's Mother
20 March '10

I called Shmulik to find out when he was coming home. It's silly to call a soldier during the first three months of training - they can't answer (aren't even supposed to have the phone in their pockets). This is when they teach them, shape them, guide them, create them into the soldier they will be.

Of course, he didn't answer - I'm not even sure I can say I was disappointed. The nice thing was that he called me back later and I asked him what he was doing and he answered, "I'm protecting Israel." It was the laugh in his voice that warned me he wasn't serious.

"Against what?" I asked - images of them walking around base filled my mind, but it's too early.

"Against plants," he said and we both laughed. Apparently, this is one of the details Elie didn't tell me about but when new recruits enter the base, the first thing they do...is clean up the base.

(Read full story)


Love of the Land: I'm Protecting Israel

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...