Saturday 19 December 2009

Love of the Land: I choose the rabbis

I choose the rabbis


Yael Mishali
Ynet/Opinion
17 December 09

Yael Mishali says there is no way she would choose democracy over Jewish law

(This is the 2nd time in recent weeks that Ms. Mishali has come up with something not necessarily expected.Good piece.)

It was a truly modern-day miracle to see the debate regarding democracy vis-à-vis Torah law picking up steam and reaching the verge of explosion precisely in Hanukkah. So what is really more important for us? Which of these two values will prevail at the last moment? At the end of the day, I don’t think that the Greek invention will be chosen.

I am not a devout follower of Jewish law, and I never followed a rabbi formally; however, in my view any group of Zionist rabbis is preferable to any group of politicians that includes Ehud Barak. Who do I appreciate more? Who do I believe in and believe to? Who do I trust? Which side asks itself less often what can it personally gain from its decisions?

Rabbis also ask themselves this question, of course. I have no doubt that Rabbi Melamed also asked himself, and provided an answer. However, they ask it less often, and their answers are much much better than any answer Barak came up with in the past, and apparently this time as well.

When it comes to all the parameters for selecting proper leadership, I prefer the Zionist rabbis, with all their diverse views and opinions, over the deceptive leaderships of modern-day politicians.

(Full article)

Related: We still have hope

Love of the Land: I choose the rabbis

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...