Monday 23 November 2009

Israel Matzav: Overnight music video

Overnight music video

I'm not really a maven in Jewish music. But I clicked on the video I'm about to show you, and expected the same words to a different tune - one I remember from about 35 years ago. I found something completely different. As the music comes out of my laptop (to which I have not yet attached headphones this week), my 15-year old daughter comes in and asks me whether I know this is her favorite song (of course I didn't) and that it was on all the time in camp.

And who sings it? She has no idea (neither do I, but I'm sure someone clicking on this post will).

The song says that one who desires life must guard his tongue from bad things and his lips from speaking treachery. It is a verse in Psalms that provides the foundation for much of the Jewish law of relations with other people - an area of Jewish law I have been studying daily for about 12 years now.

It's a beautiful tune too.

Let's go to the videotape.





Israel Matzav: Overnight music video

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...