Monday 29 June 2009

Israel Matzav: An historical defense of Jewish 'settlements' in Judea and Samaria

An historical defense of Jewish 'settlements' in Judea and Samaria

At the outset, I must say that we need another word for 'settlements.' My problem is that the word 'settlements' has a connotation of being temporary and not permanent. It's the same problem I have with the word 'settler,' which I almost never use at all (and even then generally I don't use it without scare quotes). Instead of 'settler,' I use the word "revenant," which means one who has returned to his former land. This op-ed comes from the guy who taught me the word "revenant."

Some have questioned why Jews should be allowed to resettle areas in which they didn't live in the years preceding the 1967 war, areas that were almost empty of Jews before 1948 as well. But why didn't Jews live in the area at that time? Quite simple: They had been the victims of a three-decades-long ethnic cleansing project that started in 1920, when an Arab attack wiped out a small Jewish farm at Tel Hai in Upper Galilee and was followed by attacks in Jerusalem and, in 1921, in Jaffa and Jerusalem.

Read All at :

Israel Matzav: An historical defense of Jewish 'settlements' in Judea and Samaria

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...